There are fewer than fifty known violins by Carlo Bergonzi, so it is a rare event when one comes on the market. This fine example was made during the maker’s best period when he was working for the Stradivari workshop as well as on his own. It is named for Henry King-Tenison, the 8th Earl of Kingston, whose heirs sold it to W. E. Hill & Sons in 1898. Subsequent illustrious owners have included Professor Daniel Herrmann of Paris, the noted New York collector Bernard Sinsheimer, and a concertmaster of the Boston Symphony, Victor Dardenne.
Like other Bergonzi violins from this period, its sound combines the radiance of a Stradivari with the warm tonal characteristics of Guarneri “del Gesù”.