Giovanni Battista Guadagnini began his career in Piacenza about 1740-41 and within a decade became the most important violin maker in Northern Italy. At the end of 1749, having likely exhausted his opportunities in that provincial city, he moved to the thriving musical center of Milan. In Milan his style fully matured, and it was here that he made some of his most successful violins.
This very fine example was made in 1750, just after he arrived in Milan. It is one of the most attractive Guadagnini violins we have seen, with low arches, broadly spaced soundholes, a robust model, and attractive orange-amber varnish. It possesses a noble, warm, and powerful sound. It gains its name from a Joseph Ingleby of Manchester who purchased the violin from W.E. Hill & Sons in 1906. The “Ingleby” has been the property of an American amateur violinist and collector for more than 40 years.