Carlo Ferdinando Landolfi arrived in Milan about 1750 from the town of Baveno when he was around 40, which coincided with the appearance of Giovanni Battista Guadagnini from Piacenza. These two makers restored to Milan a refined level of violin making, which had fallen off with the decline of the Testore family.
This modest-sized Landolfi violin is a fine example. It is covered with an attractive orange-brown varnish. The sound is warm and full.