Violin by

Gand & Bernardel Frères
Paris, 1880

As Jean Baptiste Vuillaume was winding down his activities due to his advanced age, the two other leading Parisian firms of Bernardel and Gand formed a partnership in 1866 to become the most prominent establishment serving Europe’s greatest artists for the remainder of the century. Along with dealing in the great classical instruments, they made a large number of violins of high quality.

This violin is an especially fine example for its physical beauty, outstanding condition, and particularly robust and full sound.